One of our favourite ways to drink Oxley gin is in a gimlet cocktail. And for a gimlet, you’ll need to know how to make a cordial. Here’s an easy recipe for you to try at home.
To make 500ml of cordial
350g white caster sugar
Ingredients for your chosen flavouring
350ml hot water
15g citric or malic acid
- Put your caster sugar in a bowl, and mix in your chosen flavouring ingredient. For lime cordial for example, add the finely grated zest of four limes. Or for chamomile cordial add enough for four cups of chamomile tea. We'd recommend leaving your sugar mix overnight for the flavours to infuse.
- Pour hot (not quite boiling) water over the sugar mix and stir until dissolved. Then leave for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour this liquid through a strainer, sieve, or fine cloth to remove any zest, flowers etc. Then leave to cool.
- Once cool, add the citric or malic acid. Mix well until dissolved. The liquid should become a little less cloudy, and the flavour should become nice and tart.
- Transfer your cordial into a glass bottle and label. 500ml of cordial should be good for around 30 gimlets and will last around 4 months in the fridge.